Thursday, April 21, 2011

Alice Top

August 31: When I saw the pictures for this pattern, I immediately fell in love and knew that I wanted to knit this top. And I happened to have some Malabrigo in Natural that I thought would be perfect. But the weather is starting to change now so if I want to wear this before winter begins, I need to get it finished soon. So I jumped into this project.

The pattern is rather lengthy and there are a lot of parts (and charts) to it. But the designer has done a good job of explaining exactly what you need to do so I haven’t had any problems following along. I’m just making sure that I’m really paying attention.

The neckline is a rather ingenious construction, using what I’m going to call a backwards mitered square (meaning it uses increases rather than decreases).

September 2: Finished with the yoke and divided for the sleeves. Only a couple of rows beyond that at this point. But I can now clearly see how the neckline looks and it’s pretty darn nifty how that whole backwards mitered square thing worked out.

September 12: I’ve been working on this a little bit each day. And I’m just one round away from finishing the bust, so it’s coming along quite nicely though I’m not sure I’ll have it finished before the weather turns cold.

April 17, 2011: Wow has it really been this long since I’ve worked on this project? I decided to pick it back up today and worked a good portion of the body. I have around 20 rows remaining before I start the bottom hem. Then I’ll just need to do the sleeves. I’d love to have this finished by the end of the month, but I think if I target the end of May, that might be more realistic.

April 19: Finished the body up through the frill at the bottom, which I’m looking forward to doing. Yay!

April 21: And now the body is completely finished. I tried it on and it does seem to fit though it hard to tell over my pregnant belly! This will be a top that will have to wait until next year to be worn. Now all I have left are the sleeves. I was originally going to do the frill option, but after seeing the frill on the bottom (which I do like) and trying it on, I’m not sure I’m keep on the frill for the arms, so I think I’m going to do the non-frill option for the sleeves.

April 21 (later): I went ahead with the no-frill sleeves and I’m so happy that I did because I think it turned out really great. No modeled shots right now because I’m 19 weeks pregnant so it doesn’t quite look right on me at the moment. But I think that after the pregnancy, it will fit quite nicely. But alas, it looks like it’ll be going into storage until after the baby arrives.


Pattern: Alice Top by Katya Wilsher
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Natural

No comments: