Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gretel

May 31: I’ve been thinking about this project for a while so I decided to go ahead and start on it. It took me a little time to get through the cast on (new technique for me) but I think I got it and have now moved through row 18, so it’s well under way. I did go up a needle size from the suggested size (since I’m a tight knitter). I’ve tried on what I have so far and it fits my head rather nicely. Now it’s just a matter of whether or not it will actually be slouchy!

June 1: Got to work a bit more on it. I think it’s turning into a slouchy hat, which is good! I’m not sure yet if I will go though the slouchy version or if I’ll do the regular (which is the one in the middle). I’ve got 6 more rounds before I have to decide. By the way, the yarn is gorgeous!

June 3: I went with the slouchy version. I got to the decrease rounds, so I hope those go more quickly and I can finish up in the next day or two!

June 4: Oh no! The cable came lose while I was working and about two dozen stitches came loose. I didn’t panic (although I felt like it), but I immediately grabbed a DPN, a crochet hook, and some patience, and I got all the stitches back in their proper places. I’ve now fixed the cable but it did put me behind a little in my schedule to finish it since that took quite some time to fix.

June 4 (later): Good news and bad news. First the good: the hat is finished and it is absolutely beautiful. I love the combination of yarn and pattern. Now the bad news: the hat looks awful on me. I’ve never really been able to wear berets, but I was hoping this one would be different somehow (perhaps magically?). Alas, it is not. I shall have to find the right person for this hat so that it doesn’t just sit on my styrofoam manikin head forever.

Pattern: Gretel by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: JulieSpins Juno (60% merino, 40% silk) in



No comments: