Friday, June 26, 2009

Something Brown

March 28: I’ve been wanting to make one of these for quite a while so I’ve decided to jump right in and start working on it.

March 31: I’ve finished up the raglan increases, so I’m ready now to divide for the sleeves.

April 6: I’m down to the ribbing on the bottom of the cardigan with about 6 more inches to go on it. Then I’ll do the sleeves and then the ribbing around the edge. I tried it on and it’s fitting quite nicely so far.

May 3: Finally got back to this project. I have about 1-2 more inches to go on the bottom of the cardigan. Then I’ll be moving onto the sleeves.

May 13: I finished off the body. Sleeves and edging around the front remaining.

May 15: Finished first sleeve.

June 6: Finally picked this back up and finished the second sleeve. Now I just have the collar and button band, but that will have to wait as I had to order some new 60” cables for my Harmony interchangeables (since the other one broke), and I don’t think I can fit 184 stitches comfortably on the 40” ones.

June 13: The 60” cables arrived today, so I spent the evening working on the collar and button band. I think I’m ready to cast off, but I’m going to do that in the morning. I also need to get a button. But this project should be finished soon!

June 14: Finished but for the button. But I’m not sure it’s turned out. I tend to be a tight knitter and I cast off pretty tightly, too. So I used a larger needle (9) to cast off and tried to do it loosely. But it was still too tight and when I tried it on, I realized that the button band pulls the cardigan up on each side, making it really just not look good. It’s currently blocking and I tried to stretch it out as much as possible, so we’ll see if that helps.

June 23: Finally sewed on the button, so this is finished. You can see in the picture how the button band pulls up the sides of the cardigan. Alas, the blocking helped but not enough.

Pattern: Something Red
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton in Expresso

No comments: