Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Felted Mittens

I found this pattern as a free pattern in Hobby Lobby and decided to try it out. I'm still learning how to use double pointed needles and I had never split anything off before (like you do here for the thumb), so I thought that if I made any mistakes, the felting might be able to cover them up.

So here's the first mitten as I was in progress on it.


And here is the first mitten - finished but before felting. It's definitely much bigger than my hand!


And here is the first mitten after felting. Quite a nice fit on my hand.


I had to wait a little while before working on the second mitten as I did not have enough yarn and had to order another ball. When it arrived, it took me only a couple of days to finish the second mitten. I did have a minor bobble around the thumb - when I picked the stitches back up for it, I got turned around (kinda like I did on the stocking), but I was able to get back on the right track quickly. But that's what the "ring" around the thumb is. I decided not to worry about it since they would be felted and it should disappear (it did). So here's the felted mitten beside the unfelted one (that gives you an idea of the difference in the size).



And now here is both mittens felted and finished and dry. The second one felted a little differently and is slightly more narrow than the first, but it still fits my hand (though it's a bit snug).



And finally, I tried taking a picture of me wearing them. I used my chin to push the button on the camera, so that's one reason why my hands are bent at a weird angle. But the picture came out well enough so you can see what they look like on my hands.



Here's the "technical" info:
Bernat Felted Knit Mittens
Yarn: KP Wool of the Andes (100% Peruvian Highland Wool) – Lake Ice Heather
Needles: Size 8 double pointed

2 comments:

Ladyjanet said...

Karen- I just ove your mittens! I crocheted a pair and even without felting, they lasted for years. Hmmm... maybe I need to find that pattern again...

karendawn said...

Thanks, LJ!

I wore them this morning and they kept my hands nice and toasty warm. :)