Monday, January 29, 2007

Fuzzy Scarf

I belong to a group called Comitatus, which is our organization for students (grad and undergrad) interested in medieval studies. Each February we have a conference and for the past few years, we've had a silent auction in the fall to help fund the conference. I want to donate several knitted items to this year's silent auction and since I have quite a few months for knitting, I should be able to get a lot done. (The first item was the small felted purse that I finished earlier.)

A while back, I had bought two balls of this fuzzy novelty yarn, not really knowing what I'd do with it. It's been sitting in my storage tub, so I finally pulled it out and decided to just make a simple garter knit scarf, letting the fuzziness of the yarn be the attraction for the scarf. I'm glad that I didn't do anything more complicated. The yarn wasn't really that fun to work with. It was scratchy and hard to see the stitches. (When I finished, I forgot about leaving enough yarn for binding off so I had to go back and undo a row - that was horrible because I couldn't get a good feel for where the stitches were.)

But even though my hands feel scratched up now, the scarf has a mostly soft feel to it and looks neat. Since I had only two balls, it's a bit shorter than I would have liked, but we could just market it as a child's scarf or something if necessary.

This picture shows the color better than the one below.



And this picture shows the fuzziness a bit better.



Details:
Yarn: Bernat Boa Nouveau; color: Parrot? (#81305); 100% polyester
Needles: Size 9 straight
Pattern: Garter stitch

No comments: