Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Copper Penny Socks

June 7: I’ve been reading about other people’s experience with this pattern and their concern that the small number of stitches around will make the sock too small. Since I’m a tight knitter (and just had to frog those Devon socks twice because they were too small), I decided to go up to a size 2 needles and also to use some heavier fingering weight yarn. I didn’t change the number of stitches. And the needle/yarn combination seems to have worked. I’ve tried it on several times to discover that it seems to be fitting quite well and not at all too tightly. Finished the leg (I did 16 of the 18 pattern repeats, which seems to be about right for my leg or else I’ll be making knee highs!) today. This pattern really goes quite quickly.

June 8: Turned the heel and finished about half of the foot. Will I be able to finish the first sock tomorrow?

June 9: And I did it. Sock #1 finished and a perfect fit. I’m not sure I can do the second sock in 3 days (that’s some really intense knitting time!), but I’m definitely liking how this first sock came out so I’m eager to get it a mate.

June 21: Finally cast on for sock #2. Finished the cuff and 2 pattern repeats of the leg.

June 30: Finished 2 more pattern repeats on the leg.

July 1: Finished 2 more pattern repeats on the leg.

July 2: Once again, finished 2 more pattern repeats on the leg.

July 3: Finished the leg, heel, gusset, and started the foot.

July 8: Finished second sock!

Pattern: Copper Penny Socks (in Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn)
Yarn: JulieSpins MCN in Warm Wood

No comments: