Saturday, January 16, 2010

Blanket of Many Browns

June 10: I was going to make a blanket with a bunch of cabled squares out of this yarn, but I decided I wanted something else. Looking through my patterns, I found this one and I thought it would be perfect for these various shades of brown. So I cast on and did the first square and first strip.

June 11: I decided to make the dark brown be just the central square rather than having it throughout the rest of the blanket since the other browns are a lot lighter. I like how it looks so far.

July 7: Worked a little bit on this project.

July 10: Spent a good chunk of the evening reading and working on the blanket.

July 14: This blanket is really starting to speed along and get much bigger. I really love how it’s looking so far!

July 19: Although the contrast of the stripes does not look as stark in actuality as it does in the photo, I decided to try some alteration of the ordering of the colors to see if it helps to break them up a bit.

September 9: Project on hold until I finish my mom’s blanket.

January 4, 2010: I’ve decided that I just don’t have it in me to finish this in the massive size that I had originally planned. It’s about the perfect size right now for a baby blanket, so I’m going to add two more rectangles to even it up and then add the dark brown border and call it done.

January 12: Finished. It measures about 32”x33”. I’m rather glad that I decided to make this a small baby blanket size rather than the large queen bed size that I had planned. If I had to pick up more stitches along the edges just once more I think I would scream. Two log cabin blankets are enough for me!



Pattern: Joseph's Blankie of Many Colors from Mason-Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton and Dyed Cotton (Nut, Sand, Bone, Pebble, Expresso)

No comments: