Thursday, December 28, 2006

My Clogs

Now I was getting a feel for knitting. I found the website knittinghelp.com (a fantastic resource!) and noticed people on the forum talking about these Fiber Trends clogs. They looked so neat that I had to give them a try. I found the pattern at my LYS (which is a really great place - the owner is very nice) and bought the yarn on KnitPicks (Wool of the Andes - Hyacinth and Blue Bonnet). I wanted to do pairs for gifts, but I decided to make a pair for me first to see if I could actually do it. Everyone on the forum kept saying to trust the pattern, so I just followed exactly what it said. And the clogs turned out great!

In this picture, you can see that the cuff is not yet added nor has the sole been sewn closed. Plus, this is the inside-out view (that's how they turned while I was knitting - I had to turn it around before adding the cuff. This didn't happen again on any future pairs).


These two pictures show the cuff added but the sole still not sewn nor the bumper added to the bottom:



And here is the "finished" clog (pre-felting):


With my foot inside (you can see that it's larger than my foot - when it is felted, the clog will shrink down and I should be able to get it to fit my foot pretty darn well):


I had to pause here as the semester got started, but I finally finished the second clog in October. So here they are together - still unfelted:


So I tossed them in the washing machine, hot water and heavy agitation. Ten minutes later I checked them. One had gotten out of the pillowcase, so it was very soggy but I dried them out a bit and tried them on. Still a little too big. Five more minutes. Again one had escaped the pillowcase (I think it was the same one - determined little bugger!). But when I tried them on, they were just about right. So I plopped them on a towel to dry and stuffed washcloths in them to keep their shape while drying.


They're a bit fuzzier than I had expected. But I still like them! The picture below shows the color much better than the one above - this is more like the actual color of the clogs.


And I've been wearing them ever since. Very comfy and very warm. I'm so proud of myself for making them and so happy to have them to wear!

No comments: