Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Stocking That Wasn't

I was really excited when I saw this free pattern on the KnitPicks website - the Twirl Top Stocking. I ordered some yarn right away (the stocking is in Shamrock - this one is Dougherty and I have more yarn in Flanagan - a red - for another stocking; the top is Twirl in Cream) and couldn't wait to get started on it. I'd been wanting to try my hand at socks, but I was scared of using double pointed needles. Since this is one big sock, I thought it might be easiest to start with it.

And I started out okay. Once I got the hang of the double pointed needles, I found that I liked using them. I created and turned the heel just fine. That's when I hit the problem area. I somehow got the needles placed differently and found that I was knitting "inside out" -
purl "bumps" on the outside when it should have been the knit "V". I didn't figure out what was wrong at first. After about 6 rows I figured it out and got myself going correctly again. I know that I REALLY should have frogged back, but I just couldn't bear to do it (I really wanted to finish that day, which was Christmas Eve). So I kept on. Also in my rush, I think I should have made the foot part longer. And then the tip of the toe is super pointed. It said to knit until 8 stitches remain, and I did but it just seems like too much. I have yarn for a second stocking, so I think next time I'll knit until 16 stitches remain to have the toe part be a bit wider.

The cuff around the top and the loop to hang it (single chain of crochet) came out okay. I have high hopes for my next stocking and I plan to buy more yarn and do this one again at some point.


No comments: