Monday, December 21, 2009

Aestlight Shawl

August 10: Started the shawl. The construction is a bit different from some of the other shawls I’ve done, so I’m excited to see how this one comes together. Because I did these YOs on the edges for the toe up socks, I’m feeling pretty comfortable with doing them on the garter stitch triangle. Otherwise, I think that it would have been a little bit of an adjustment at first to get the hang of them.
August 15: Only 3 rows left in the garter stitch triangle!
August 16: I’ve started on the border. I’ve picked up all the stitches and I’m up through row 4 so far. I had a couple of weird issues with the picked up stitches and knitting through the back loop. I counted carefully and made sure twice that I had all the loops, but for some reason on the knit row after the one through the back loop, I found two places where something wonky happened and it looked like the stitches hadn’t been picked up correctly. I was able to fix them both times and as I’ve knitted a little further along, I don’t think it shows at all, so I hope it’s all taken care of. But I’d really like to know how the mistakes happened!
August 23: I’m now exactly halfway through the Bird’s Eye Lace section. (Sadly, with the semester starting up, I’m having a lot less time to knit so it’s been slow going). My curse as a tight knitter has struck again. My bird’s eyes are rather small. When I stretch them, they look okay, so I’m hoping that the blocking will make them stand out, but mine are no where near as large or prominent as other pictures I’ve seen of WIPs. (Speaking of pictures, I need to get some updated ones!)
August 25: Just 6 more rows to go with the Bird’s Eye Lace!
August 27: I’ve finally gotten to the edging (I’ve finished just one repeat of it so far) and I’m finally posting a couple of updated pictures. I’m also using the handy trick that haramis mentioned of using a DPN as the second needle for the edging. Thanks Emily! It’s a lot easier to work with.
August 28: I made it to the halfway point on the edging section. I may actually be able to finish this shawl within the next week!
September 12: I got a little bogged down working on the border because it was so repetitive and got boring after a while. But I pushed through today and finished it. It’s currently blocking (see picture). Although there are some parts I would have liked to see turn out better, I’m pleased with it overall.


Pattern: Aestlight Shawl by Gudrun Johnston
Yarn: Wollmeise 100% Merino Superwash in Gewitterhimmel

Available for sale in my etsy shop.

No comments: