Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Escher Socks

January 28: I’ve been itching to cast on for another pair of socks, so I decided to dive into these. I’m also trying out magic loop again (I usually prefer DPNs). I found the first 3 rounds rather fiddly, but now I’m on round 5 and it’s starting to get a lot better. Since I knit fairly tightly, I started with going up a needle size and casting on the larger size (60 stitches). I’ll knit a couple of pattern repeats and then see how the sizing is going. (Later: The fit is good!)

March 17: Wow. I started these quite a while ago. It usually doesn’t take me this long to finish a pair of socks and I’m nowhere close to finishing right now. Last night I did do another pattern repeat on the leg of the first sock. Just about 1 or 2 more of those and I’ll be ready to turn the heel.

April 2: Am now focusing my attention on these socks. Yesterday I turned the heel and got all that part taken care of so I’m working on the foot. Hope to finish the first sock in the next couple of days and start the second.

April 6: First sock finished. I’m really glad I did the large size because even so they still feel a bit tight. I’m wondering if I should go up a needle size for the second sock. I’m going to wait until this one dries from its blocking to see if that makes a difference before I decide and start the second sock.

May 9: Yeah, I’ve been sitting on these socks for far too long. In an effort to finish sock #2, I’ve been focused on knitting this project for the past couple of days. I’m past the heel and on the foot now. If I counted right, I have 6 more pattern repeats (or technically 3 more full pattern repeats) to go before I decrease for the toes.

May 11: Finished finally! (And yes, the blocking helped tremendously in making the first sock fit right.)




Pattern: Escher Socks by Lorna Miser (published in Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn)
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy in In Vino Veritas

No comments: