Wednesday, May 12, 2010

No Cable Needle Cabled Hat

April 7: Taking a knitting class tomorrow on cabling without a cable needle so I knit the ribbing tonight to prepare for the class.

April 8: Just back from the class. It was great. Now, the first round with cables went very slowly and was a bit frustrating because I had knit so tightly that instead of staying still while I moved stitches around (this technique involves letting stitches loose momentarily), I kept having the stitches drop, so I had to get out the ole crochet hook and pick up the dropped stitches. Grr. So the next time I made sure to consciously knit as loosely as possible for the next set-up row and that seemed to work as the stitches were so much easier to manipulate and I was able to get the hang of the technique. Now I can definitely see the benefits of doing it this way and how it will be much faster for doing cables. Yay!

April 9: All finished. I’m definitely a lot more comfortable with not using a cable needle after this project. I think I’ll make another hat with my Ravelry Red Malabrigo Twist.

April 10: As I’m looking at the pictures of the hat, I’m not liking the places where there are purl bumps in the middle of the cables. I wasn’t sure if the pattern was correct when it said to repeat those rows but I went ahead with it. Now I’m regretting it. So on the next one I make, I’ll just knit across instead of adding purls in the cables and see how it turns out.




Pattern: Sarah's Cabled Hat by Sasha Stavsky (free Ravelry download)
Yarn: Cascade 220 in Marigold

No comments: