Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mouse Queen

September 6, 2009: I decided to try a different approach with the Queen. Instead of knitting all the pieces first and then seaming them up (like I did with the King), I’m doing the finishing/seaming as I go. So today I was able to finish all of the lower part of her body. Next up will be the arms, and then I’ll work on putting together everything on the head. It did seem to go a lot better this way, with alternating knitting and sewing I was able to get more done in a shorter amount of time than with the King.

March 14: So this poor little mouse has been sitting around for far too long without a head and arms. I decided to finish her up today. Alas, that was not to be accomplished.

So I’m a little pissed off. I bought the kit from Knitbeads that’s supposed to contain all the yarn I’ll need to knit all of the medieval mice. Ha!

On the Mouse King, I was just shy of the brown color for his belt and had to use a little of another color to cast off. That worked okay, but I will need more of the original brown for one of the other mice.

So today I started in on one arm of the Mouse Queen. Hmm…I think. That pink color is getting awfully low. Will I have enough for the other arm? Definitely not since I have something like only 8 inches of yarn left after the first arm.

So now my Queen is missing an arm.

Then I went to knit the crown. I ran out of the metallic gold yarn with about half a dozen stitches to bind off (since I used glue to fold over the crown, I was able to just thread the last inch of yarn through the last few stitches and use glue to secure it). But I still have the clasp for her cloak that I’m supposed to make out of it as well as two more crowns for the prince and princess mice.

I’ve been making sure to have short tails for my cast on and bind off. I’ve been using thread to sew the pieces together rather than the yarn. I’ve been trying to make sure I have enough yarn. So I think that the kit just doesn’t contain the right amount of yarn to knit all of the mice.

So now I have my Queen almost finished. Just minus one arm (and one cloak clasp). And I’m going to email knitbeads and see if they’ll send me more yarn. If not, then I will never buy from them again and I’ll make sure to let others know.




May 12: I got my yarn a bit over a week ago (it was a rather lengthy process of emails back and forth before the yarn was ready) so I finally sat down this morning to finish off this little queen. About 30 minutes later and I was done!




King and Queen together:

No comments: